How to Apply
- All entries (or the majority of the articles
in a series) must have been published or broadcast for the first time during
the 2012 calendar year or the 2011-2012 school year.
- Each entry must include a cover letter
explaining the entry's development and impact, as well as a URL for the entry.
- Entries must be paid in full in order
to be judged. Fees for members are $50 for a single entry and
$40 for each additional entry. For nonmembers, fees are $100 for each entry.
Pay online when submitting or send a check made payable to the Education
- All entries must be uploaded by 4:59 p.m. on
Feb. 1, 2013. Winners will be notified by March 2013.
- Entries cannot be returned. Any entry
submitted in one category may NOT be submitted in a second category except as
part of a beat reporting entry.
- For general news categories, the number
of full-time newsroom staff (in addition to reporters, the calculation should
include, among others, all editors, designers, online producers and multimedia
content producers, such as photographers, data analysts and videographers) must
be included on each entry form.
- Television entries must be in the form of a
mov, avi, or mp4 and radio entries must be in the form of a mp3 or wav. All
broadcast entries must state run times in the cover letter and must include
scripts. URLs to broadcasts are also acceptable. If a password is needed to access the videos, please supply the necessary details in the cover letter.
- For television and radio, submit the versions
originally broadcast. Submissions must focus on issues concerning education. Entries that
merely inform the public on a particular subject--as in "educational" items--will not be considered.
- The judges may disqualify any entry that does
not adhere to the rules or that is submitted in a form that is difficult to
read, listen to, or view (broken and terminated links, etc.).
- The judges may switch an entry from one
category to another if they determine it is wrongly classified.
- The judges have the right not to award
prizes in categories for which they determine there are no suitable winners.
- Officers and members of the Board of
Directors of the Education Writers Association are not eligible to win cash
awards in the competition.
Ready to apply? This year you must enter online. Questions? Check out FAQs or call (202) 452-9830.