Magazine Editor for Innovative Higher Education Publication
The Commons Media Group is launching a print and digital magazine focused on innovation in higher education this fall and desires a creative, thoughtful person to guide the editorial direction of the publication.
The candidate must be energetic with exceptional communication skills and an intuitive ability to develop original and pioneering editorial content and oversee the contributions of others. A background in higher education is a strongly preferred but not required.
Responsibilities for the position are focused in the following areas:
1. Develop editorial direction and story content for upcoming issues,
2. Manage content production to meet monthly delivery schedule (timeline production and management),
3. Ensure the highest quality of written content possible through careful selection and supervision of staff writers, researchers, and copy editors,
4. Secure articles from well-known authors and innovative writers in higher education and related fields,
5. Provide final editorial review of all content for both written and online media outlets, and
6. Contribute creative editorial content.
To be successful in this role, candidates must exemplify the following skills and abilities:
1. Proficient writing skills, consistent with the theme of the publication,
2. Accurate in presentation of material, content, grammar, and style,
3. Creative acumen to assist in the layout and appearance of articles,
4. Strong communication skills that allow for the creation of significant networks of thought leaders in higher education and the development of a respected editorial advisory board,
5. Drive to produce printed and electronic materials that influence the mindsets of higher education leaders, and
6. Ability to handle multiple demands and priorities while maintaining a focus on breakthrough ideas.
1. Master Degree in Journalism, Communication, or a related field; or significant experience with editorial assignments.
2. Understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing higher education
To apply, please send a current vitae and writing sample to Eileen Hulme at Ehulme@apu.edu.