Broad Center seeks Communications Director
The mission of The Broad Center for the Management of School Systems (www.broadcenter.org) is to raise student achievement by recruiting, training and supporting executive leadership talent from across America to become the next generation of urban school district leaders.
The Center identifies talented leaders from education, business, the military, nonprofit organizations and government who have the passion, knowledge and skills to take on executive leadership roles in urban education. The Broad Center operates two primary leadership development programs: The Broad Superintendents Academy and The Broad Residency in Urban Education. The Broad Center is a flagship initiative of and funded by The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation (www.broadfoundation.org). Created in 2002, The Broad Superintendents Academy is a rigorous, 10-month executive training program designed to prepare the next generation of public school superintendents. To date, the nine classes of Broad Academy Fellows have included leaders from business, education, government, the military and nonprofit organizations. Participants in the program retain their full-time jobs while attending the Academy for six extended weekend sessions. The residential learning session faculty is composed of leading education practitioners. Between sessions, participants are expected to undertake a series of rigorous individual skill-building activities and performance projects to build their leadership portfolios. Created in 2003, The Broad Residency in Urban Education (TBR) is an intensive two-year management development program offered to talented early- and mid-career professionals from the private and non-profit sectors. The purpose of the program is to provide an entry point for developing leaders who are not currently working in public education to train and prepare for senior positions in urban school systems throughout the country. Residents are placed directly in large urban school districts, charter management organizations, and state and federal departments of education working for senior leaders. Over the course of the two years, Residents meet together for eight professional development sessions for rigorous study and skill-building activities. When the program ends, Residents are well prepared to assume leadership posts in systems of public schools. Building and maintaining a strong network of Broad Center-trained leaders from both programs exponentially increases the already significant impact of our individual alumni. By building connections among network members, facilitating the exchange of information and best practices, and leveraging the power of The Broad Center network, we can accelerate the diffusion of innovation, and ultimately achieve our goal of raising achievement for all students.
The communications director will be responsible for managing all marketing and communications
for The Broad Center. He or she will report to the executive director of The Broad Center. This
position is full-time and is based in Los Angeles, Calif.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary role of the communications director is to develop and lead The Broad Center’s
marketing and communications initiatives in support of our mission and programs. The
communications director will be responsible for developing and executing an overarching
communications strategy for The Broad Center’s programs. He or she will be responsible for media
relations, speechwriting, publicity, press and public events and writing and developing collateral
materials for the Center.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create and implement an aggressive and sophisticated annual communications strategy to ensure consistent, high-impact activities and messaging.
- Increase national awareness and recognition for The Broad Center (and its programs) and our mission and results.
- Improve our ability to communicate our key messages and beliefs to the Center’s core audiences.
- Develop and execute marketing strategies that continually strengthen the brand of the Center toour key constituents, including potential candidates for our programs, educators, policymakers, newsmakers, opinion-makers and the public at large. Strategies will include:
- Recruitment collateral and mailings
- Social media
- Secure high-profile, national speaking engagements for The Broad Center senior team; research and write important and impactful speeches quickly.
- Develop and write opinion pieces that are insightful, topical and which generate debate, as well as assist members of The Broad Center network to develop and write opinion pieces.
- Work closely with those leading the Center’s evaluation efforts to ensure data collection on results is done in a way that will provide value to key external audiences.
- Establish strong relationships with key media that cover the activities of the Center; increase and deepen media coverage for the Center, its participants and alumni.
- Provide media and communications training and support to Broad Center staff and network members.
- Other duties as necessary to ensure organizational success.
- At least eight years of professional experience in communications and marketing for a company or organization with strong name recognition and significant brand awareness.
- Experience managing communications and marketing functions such as messaging, brand management, advertising, direct mail, collateral materials, social media, website development and market research.
- Exceptional track record in working effectively with the media, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing news articles, profiles and opinion pieces in local and national newspapers, TV, radio and Internet.
- Experience designing and executing successful communications and marketing strategies at the local, regional and national levels.
- Effective project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues.
- Ability to execute on a number of diverse projects simultaneously; comfort with taking initiative and making progress amidst competing priorities.
- Superb judgment.
- A self-starter; highly motivated; hands-on professional.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented team environment.
- Superb verbal and written communications skills.
- Comfort with and ability to use technology in a productive and efficient way, including expert experience with Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Internet research.
- Command of Associated Press style and familiarity with Factiva, Burrelle’s, Cision, LexisNexis and ConstantContact.
- Personal reputation for integrity and ethics.
- Passion for improving K-12 education.
- Undergraduate degree required; graduate degree preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental and
a comprehensive 401k retirement savings plan.
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Employment is
contingent on a writing sample and a satisfactory background check.
We will only contact applicants chosen for further consideration.
The Broad Center engages employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender,
marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic covered by law. All who believe they
meet the stated qualifications are invited to apply. The Broad Center is an equal opportunity
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed.
They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required for the job.