Senior Editor—Washington, D.C.
U.S. News & World Report
The Education section at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time editor based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for planning and editing consumer-focused content for usnews.com/education.
In this role, the senior editor will edit multiple online pieces – which can include articles, blog posts, slideshows, quizzes and university profiles – on a daily basis. This talented individual will work closely with in-house editors, reporters/writers and Web producers as well as external freelance bloggers and writers. In addition to daily editing, the senior editor will help plan and edit content to supplement the online launches of U.S. News’ hallmark rankings, including Best Colleges, Best Graduate Schools and Best Online Programs. This is not a writing position and does not involve breaking news coverage.
Our online articles – typically around 700-750 words and aimed at an audience of prospective students and parents – explore education trends, dispel myths and contain actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education.
We’re looking for a candidate with top-notch editing skills, encompassing both copy editing and content/structural editing. Preference will be given to a seasoned editor with experience editing for the Web on topics related to U.S. and international higher education.
- Proven editing skills, ideally in an online journalism environment, with a minimum of five years of experience
- Strong editorial judgment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting
- Basic understanding of HTML and Web production via content management systems
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small but growing team
- Interest in and knowledge of both U.S. and international higher education is a plus
- Experience with developing and maintaining relationships with freelancers is a plus
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide three references in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please visit: https://apply.hrmdirect.com/resumedirect/ApplyOnline/Apply.aspx?req_id=enc-16.5460000274715460&source=349125-CS-13314
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, dental, vision, and 401(k) plan.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.