Senior Editor, International Education—Washington, D.C.
U.S. News & World Report
The Education section at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time editor based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for planning and editing consumer-focused content for usnews.com/education.
In this role, the senior editor will focus specifically on international education and an audience of prospective students looking to earn a full undergraduate or graduate degree in another country. This talented individual will edit multiple online pieces a week – which can include university profiles, articles, blog posts and multimedia content – to supplement the U.S. News Best Global Universities and U.S. News Best Arab Region Universities rankings and editorial coverage.
Our online articles, typically around 700-750 words, explore education trends, dispel myths and contain actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education. The senior editor will work closely with in-house editors, reporters/writers and Web producers as well as external freelance writers. This is not a writing position and does not involve breaking news coverage.
We’re looking for a candidate with extensive background in higher education, particularly with experience editing for the Web on topics related to international education. Excellent editing skills, along with demonstrated ability to work on deadline, are musts.
- Proven editing skills, ideally in an online journalism environment, with a minimum of five years of experience
- Keen interest in and knowledge of international higher education
- Strong editorial judgment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting
- Basic understanding of HTML and Web production via content management systems
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small but growing team
- Experience with developing and maintaining relationships with freelancers is a plus
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide three references in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please visit: https://apply.hrmdirect.com/resumedirect/ApplyOnline/Apply.aspx?req_id=enc-16.9989450389519989&source=319346-CS-13314
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and 401(k) plans.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.