Seeking Senior Education Editor
A new high-profile online education news website is looking for a Senior Editor to help shape an expanding digital newsroom. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the ideal candidate will be comfortable in a high-energy entrepreneurial environment, eager to both oversee daily beat coverage and steer long-term/long-form special projects and investigations.
We are looking for an effective line editor with a proven history of newsroom leadership – a detail-oriented big thinker who can both keep the site current with breaking news while also thinking more broadly about projects and investigations that can drive the conversation (particularly within the context of the 2016 presidential campaign, where education is sure to be a key topic).
If you’re currently an editor caught in the exhausting, endless, shallow churn of a daily newsroom, we are looking to empower our passionate team members with the time, space and resources they need to dive into the nation’s most important issue in a thorough, meaningful fashion. We’re looking to help you produce work that you’re proud of – coverage that drives the national conversation. While prior education experience is not necessarily required, we are looking for ambitious editors with a demonstrated ability in building a beat and informed journalists with clear opinions on what’s working, and what’s not, in the current education system.
- Edit a mix of daily news posts, opinion columns and investigative features about national, state, and local education matters and politics
- Work closely with the Editorial Director to brainstorm, maintain and execute a monthly calendar of special projects that will cut through the noise and drive the conversation.
- Keep abreast of trends, developments, personalities and challenges in education around the country
- Be an active source of ideas in daily and weekly edit meetings
- Collaborate with senior editors across the organization in developing articles, graphics, videos and photo essays that shine a light on the problems, solutions and personalities shaping U.S. education.
- Bachelor’s or masters degree in journalism, communications, public policy or other related field
- 5+ years of steering a beat, overseeing daily reporting and coverage, or steering larger projects that broke news
- Established presence on social media and comfort in using various social networks to reach both readers and influentials
- Collegial, collaborative and decisive
- Comfortable in a dynamic, always-changing digital news environment; able to adapt
Job Location: New York City or Washington D.C. (with occasional travel to NYC)
Job Type: Full-Time
Compensation: Extremely competitive (commensurate with experience)
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.