Public Relations Manager
Northwest Evaluation Association
NWEA has an exciting new opening for Public Relations Manager within the NWEA Marketing team. This is a full-time opportunity offering competitive compensation, a substantial benefits package and career growth opportunities. This position may be home-based within the U.S. or may be located in our home office in Portland, Oregon.
Founded by educators nearly 40 years ago, Northwest Evaluation Association™ (NWEA™) is a global not-for-profit educational services organization known for our flagship interim assessment, Measures of Academic Progress® (MAP®). More than 7,400 partners in U.S. schools, districts, education agencies, and international schools trust us to offer pre-kindergarten through grade 12 assessments that accurately measure student growth and learning needs, professional development that fosters educators’ ability to accelerate student learning, and research that supports assessment validity and data interpretation. To better inform instruction and maximize every learner’s academic growth, educators currently use NWEA assessments and items with nearly 10 million students. Our research-based core lets us do what’s driven us from the beginning: give educators tools proven to help them make a difference. We are searching for talented individuals who desire to make a difference in education by demonstrating a commitment to our mission: Partnering to help all kids learn®.
The Public Relations Manager will play a key role on the NWEA marketing team. S/he will lead proactive and reactive media relations, collaborate closely with Product Marketing colleagues to ensure that NWEA products, solutions, services and research are top of mind for leading education trade and national editors. S/he will also be a sophisticated content strategist, able to see multiple story angles and uses within a single piece, and use social media expertise to connect with influencers, pitch via twitter, and get the amplification possible through converged media channels.
- Develop and execute integrated media plans which generate awareness and buzz through multiple channels
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with members of the print, broadcast and online media including education trade, consumer, and select local media in key communities.
- Manage external PR agency and other resources to deliver results
- Serve as frontline media spokesperson if needed
- Monitor traditional media and social coverage
- Measure and report results of all media relations activities to management
- Write and edit key communication pieces that serve to promote NWEA, its executives and offerings
- Research topics and write articles positioning organizational leaders as industry experts
- Proactively identify newsworthy trends and stories to pitch the media
- Identify award opportunities for the organization and prepare nomination
- Manage editorial calendar for NWEA blogs in tandem with Sr. Interactive Manager and other team members.
Education and Experience:
- 7+ years of PR experience in K12 education press relations with proven success in generating quantity and quality coverage and buzz
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or related field is required.
- Personal relationships with key education trade, consumer, tech journalists and influencers
- Expertise across digital, traditional and social media channels
- Excellent writing skills; experienced spokesperson also able to train senior execs for same
- Deep experience in K12 education; experience in K12 assessment a plus
- Proactive storyteller with strong pitching skills
NWEA’s generous benefits package includes: 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance for eligible employees; company-paid public transportation, indoor bicycle racks, and free on-site parking; convenient location near public transportation near the Pearl District in downtown Portland; additional monthly compensation in the form of flex pay; and a 15% annual employer contribution toward our 403b retirement plan. In addition, NWEA’s culture promotes work-life balance. Accordingly, we offer 4 weeks’ PTO in the first year, 5 weeks’ PTO after the first year anniversary, and 6 weeks’ PTO after the second year anniversary and in subsequent years. Our employees also enjoy flexible work schedules.
NWEA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. NWEA’s written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.