The Alliance for Excellent Education
About the Organization
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a Washington, DC–based national policy and advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that all students, particularly those who are traditionally underserved, graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship. The Alliance focuses on America’s 6 million most-at-risk secondary school students—those in the lowest achievement quartile—who are most likely to leave school without a diploma or to graduate unprepared for a productive future. See http://all4ed.org/about/ for more information.
The communications associate must be a proactive, self-motivated, hard-working team player who is comfortable working on a deadline and in a fast-paced but friendly environment. He/she must have strong social media skills; be comfortable working with the media; and have excellent writing and speaking skills, a pleasant manner, and a sense of humor. He/she will be a member of the communications team and will report directly to the vice president of communications.
- Using tools such as Hootsuite, manage the Alliance’s social media outreach on Twitter and Facebook, including live tweeting, taking event photos, and “Storifying,” and create a strategic plan to expand its impact and integrate it into the Alliance’s overall communications and messaging efforts.
- Manage the Alliance’s “High School Soup” blog, including writing original content on a daily and weekly basis, editing submissions, and recruiting internal and external bloggers.
- Draft newsletter articles, press releases, media alerts, opinion pieces, and other media-related materials.
- Assist in the dissemination of press releases, media alerts, and other communications to members of the press.
- Pitch members of the media on upcoming Alliance events, report releases, and other relevant activities.
- Support the Alliance’s president and other members of the Alliance in scheduling and developing talking points for media interviews.
- Collect and disseminate daily education clips to Alliance staff, including news articles that reference the Alliance.
- Work with the rest of the communications team to develop new content for the Alliance’s website.
- Maintain and update the Alliance’s media database.
- Attend Alliance and non-Alliance conferences, report releases, and other events for the purposes of networking and promoting the Alliance.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a closely related field is preferred but not required, including strong academic credentials.
- Experience: Minimum of two years work experience preferred but not required. Past experience in the education policy world, media, or an interest in the issue of education is a plus.
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with salary requirements, a resume attached in MS Word or PDF format, a writing sample, and a cover letter. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Alliance engages employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, or any other characteristic covered by law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.