Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association (EWA), the national professional organization for education journalists, is seeking an energetic and accomplished Assistant Director to lead ongoing and emerging initiatives, with an emphasis on programming to promote compelling news coverage of higher education.
The assistant director should share EWA’s commitment to the value of independent professional journalism and embrace EWA’s mission to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public.
Located in Washington, D.C., EWA offers a rewarding work environment and a team of talented colleagues who serve a thriving national community of journalists and others committed to top-notch education coverage. The Assistant Director will be based in D.C. and report to the Executive Director.
- Leadership: Serve as member of senior leadership team, helping to drive organizational growth, impact and quality improvement.
- Training: Plan, produce, and promote high-impact seminars and webinars for journalists to build their capacity to effectively cover education, especially learning beyond high school.
- Editing: Conceptualize, assign, and edit high-quality resources, including blog posts, issue backgrounders, interactive data tools, reporting guides and other resources produced by EWA staff and members.
- Management: Supervise and mentor team of professional staff to ensure quality of services, including annual awards program, fellowships to support in-depth reporting projects, weekly podcasts, and program to orient journalists new to the education beat.
- External Relations: Build and maintain relationships with members, program partners and supporters to advance EWA’s mission.
- Evaluation: Analyze program results and produce reports for internal and external audiences.
- Miscellaneous: Other duties as needs arise.
- Education journalism expertise: Awareness of critical education issues and their coverage, as well as key players in the field
- Communication and collaboration: Superior written and verbal communication skills; comfort working independently, as well as part of a team; proactively collaborate with EWA staff, members, and partners
- Project management: Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance competing priorities; experience in planning multi-step projects and reaching milestones on time without sacrificing accuracy and quality
- Creative problem-solving: Ability to think critically and creatively, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; proactively identify issues and generate strategies
- Digital savvy: Awareness of tools, trends, and techniques in digital and data journalism and ability to develop training opportunities with those in mind
- Language skills: Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Five years or more of work experience in journalism, communications and/or education
- Background in or passion for higher education preferred
- Nonprofit experience preferred, but not required
- Bachelor’s degree required
In addition to our fun and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time, full-year staff:
- Competitive Salary & Growth Potential
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Metro accessible office
- Health/Vision/Dental Coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and performance. Send a resume, three writing samples, and a detailed cover letter explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your salary expectations. This is not a telecommuting position. No phone calls, please.
EWA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.