General News Outlet (Small Staff)
- From classroom to City Council?
- For the Record: Paying for preschool with social impact bonds
- Jury still out on Emanuel preschool expansion plans
- To boost teacher diversity, state scraps limits on basic skills test-taking
- Across all races, teacher education losing students
- Absenteeism and truancy down, but not at welcoming schools
- Absenteeism, truancy up in elementary grades
Comments from the Judges:
“Melissa Sanchez writes with authority and grounds her stories in dense research and mature reporting, which sometimes looks more solid than what the authorities within the Chicago school district produce. She gives a lot of facts, research, perspective and a variety of opinions and reactions in each story. Touche, that she keeps reluctant education authorities honest when they’re withholding data or reports!”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2016 National Awards for Education Reporting.